Vincent Harding, Stephen Henderson, and several other faculty members on the Atlanta University complex begin to plan a W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for Advanced Studies in African American Studies in response to a national call for a Black University (as opposed to a Negro one) and Black Studies.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Center launches January 15, 1969, in a ceremony on Auburn Avenue at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park, site of the future Memorial Center.
“The Challenge of Blackness” (April) and “Beyond Chaos: Black History and the Search for the New land” (August) are published as the first two works in the Institute’s Black Paper Series.
The Institute publishes its first newsletter Inside the Black World in April. It features a lead article on Mrs. Shirley Graham Du Bois’ visit to Atlanta and the Institute in January 1971.
Addition of Black-World-View news column to IBW’s Monthly Report increases mailing list from 1500 to 4500 readers.
IBW consults with several independent black schools in the development of their curricula including the Freedom Library Day School (Philadelphia) as well as the Nairobi Community College (California) and the Black Studies Program at Green Haven Correctional Institution in New York.
Pat Daly and Howard Dodson head up day-to-day staff of Institute. Bill, Bobby and Vincent continue to work on their major projects while carrying out writing, fundraising and policy assignments from their respective locations.